Friday, December 25, 2009

Christmas!

It’s Christmas morning!
I woke up this morning to a phone call from one of my American friends…we are having a get-together at 10:30, and it is now 10:15. I am actually going to send this message after the party, but that’s ok. The 6 of us will eat food together, celebrate Christmas, and watch either Home Alone, It’s a Wonderful Life, or White Christmas. It will PROBABLY be Home Alone 
I am excited for tonight. Hopefully the play goes better for me than it did last night. Yesterday at about 3, I started getting a cold. I was in class (just an assistant) when I realized this, and I left quickly to find some Kleenex. During the break for the class, Sue (the Chinese English teacher) came up to me and asked if I was getting a cold. I said yes. We walked down to the offices, a lot of Chinese was spoken, and out came some wonderful bottles—yes, you guessed it. Chinese medicine! I tried Chinese medicine.
It was a great time trying out new things. It didn’t work, but that’s possibly because I didn’t keep taking it every 4 hours like you are supposed to. I ended up getting American medicine. It’s not like I’m all that sick—just a cold. But I don’t want to give it to everyone else! So as I mentioned, the play didn’t go so well for me. I am playing Mary, plus I am the MC, which makes it a lot of work for me. I was very tired because of the cold, and just wasn’t feeling up to it. Plus, I had to say my lines in Chinese…and even though I had them down almost perfect (to American standards haha) when I was practicing, I completely forgot the lines while I was up there. I had both Daniel and Hilda whispering my lines to me while I was attempting to listen to one or both of them and get a faint memory of what I was supposed to say!
Other than that, the play was great. Everyone enjoyed it. There were about 250 people there (at least that’s how many cookies were taken! And everyone got either one or none! We decorated the Christmas tree, and that was really cool. The kids sang, and even though I didn’t understand it, I thought it was beautiful. I recorded it  When writing the play, we had to be careful that me, being the American MC, didn’t say anything about…well, you know...due to legality issues. But we had a Chinese MC who did a great job at keeping everyone entertained and sharing.
Well, I am off to another day: Christmas day! Have a wonderful WHITE Christmas back home!

1 comment: