Thursday, December 17, 2009

12/14 (From Taiwan)

Hey guys! I just wanted to let you all know that I am in Taiwan right now. I am waiting for my flight which boards in 2 hours. I survived the 14 hour plane ride (yes, i was 14 hours:D) and I already have a funny story...or 2.

Story number 1!
AHHH everything seemed to go wrong at first. The plane ride was crazy. I got switched to United instead of Continental. That was because I would have missed my flight to LAX and then in turn to Taiwan, and then in turn to Macau...fun stuff. So I went to Chicago instead of houston. It made it a bit shorter so that worked for me. But once I got to LAX, I wasn't at a Continental booth...and I needed to find one to get my next tickets on a different airline. So I had to exit security and find the Continental ticket booth...that was a treck! So I finally found it, and the guy was telling me I wasn't supposed to be there, even though on my ticket it explicitly told me to stop at the Continental ticketing booth. UGH! So I had to walk outside in the rain with my laptop bruising my leg (cause it was in the top of my duffell due to security...don't try that at home. it hurts when you walk.) with 2 coats in the really warm weather. I smelled BAD. It was not fun cause I was really dizzy and shaky cause I hadn't eaten a bite in 12 hours, and I was lost and confused and hot. But finally I found the international airport (a completely different building) and they were kind over there. I went to the Eva Air, and they put me in the Elite class instead of the regular. Not sure why, but i didn't make a difference on the plane...I just had a shorter line. So I finally got my ticket and found out where I had to go, went through security for about the 3rd or 4th time the trip (don't worry...there were more in other airports too) and finally found the gate. I got a hot dog for $4, and finally ate SOMETHING. So from LAX I flew to Taiwan. And here's where my next story starts.

SO the guy I was sitting next to on the plane was very nice. But there was that language barrior. Every once in a while he would say something to me in English...like "it's slow" or something like that. But I figured that because he ordered in Chinese and was speaking to me in very short sentances that he did not know English. WRONG! haha I feel bad now. After deboarding and getting to the gate for Macau (which took me FOREVER to find out cause it looked like a bunch of symbols!), I saw him there. He was like, "didn't we sit by each other on the plane?" and we got into a long conversation about how he was a professor of psychology at the University of Arizona, and he is here for a 1 day conference. He's originally from Taiwan, but he's on his way to Macau right now. So we talked. Too bad I didn't know he spoke English! I should quit assuming things, I guess!

I have another 4 hours before I get to Macau and get to meet the people at the English center there. Then I will be there for a few days, then on Wednesday (my time...so Tuesday) I will head to Jmen to meet my "family" and teach English :)
The airport here has free internet, so I was really happy to be able to send out a message while I'm waiting! I found where to buy international calling cards, and my only hope now is that they accept USD! I sure hope so.

If anybody asks, let them know that I am doing well, and survived my first unofficial Chinese meal...it was pasta with chicken and a white sauce...doesnt sound too Chinese, but it was different--I promise. I ate about 5 bites. Well, it's probably time for me to go find that calling card. I love you ALL! I will keep you updated as much as I can :)

My best to you all :)
-Alissa

1 comment:

  1. Just read your most recent post. Glad you are exploring the city and trying new things. A good way to learn the language is to go to the local shops. What great experiences that are all part of your training for your career field. I hear the Big Guy has agents all around the world...so you are in the right company, for sure and this cross cultural training is invaluable. We talk to the Big Guy about you and your work. Keep that blog coming. It is great to hear what you are doing. Love from Connie and Mike

    ReplyDelete