Saturday, January 2, 2010

Happy New Year!

So. A new year. I can't believe it's 2010 already! In China it's 2010, but not the new year! That comes on Feb 14 this year. But I won't be here for those celebrations :( Oh well.

I have had a crazy week! I haven't done too much since I've last written--at least not teaching wise. On Thursday I had 2 classes: one from 2:30-5 like normal (which was fun as always), and one that is a free class on Thursday nights. This was my first time going to this class though. There were 4 ladies there--one just a little older than me and the others well over my age. We learned the names of certain countries, and also the names for some important things--such as shopping :) We went "shopping" with our fake American money. We were buying rings, earrings, coats, belts, purses, and some other things, and asking where they were from and seeing if it was good quality, and also trying to barter and see if the price could come down at all. It was a fun time! After the English lesson, we pulled out a story. Since it's a free class, we're able to incorporate stories that have a higher meaning, if you get my drift. We reviewed last week's story of Isaac almost being offered to Dad to show Abr'h'ms dedication to Dad. It was cool listening to them talk about the story. They knew the story in Chinese, but it was difficult for it to come across in English. Then, we read this week's story. It was the next in the sequence from the children's Book that we had, and it was about Jacob's ladder. We talked a little about that and I listened to the teacher explain some things and I was able to explain things when I was asked as well.

After class, the ladies gave me some (delicious) candy and sent me on my way. I am amazed at how hospitable people are here. I only fear that it's only hospitality offered to foreigners, and the same is not offered to their own people. When I taught at the school Wednesday I saw just how horrible they treat their teachers, unless they are foreign teachers. Our TA's were not allowed to join us in the front at the variety show that the kids put on. They had to sit in the back. Why? Not because they are TA's and not teachers--because they were not foreign. I was very dissappointed, as the TA is actually a friend of mine, first of all, and second of all, I felt very guilty for taking the place of honor when it was not offered to my friends who actually deserved it more than I did--I am just a substitute teacher and he's there every day, but because my skin is white, I was given a seat of honor. I was very dissappointed that this happened, and it just hurt me that the school treats their own teachers that way.

That's unfortunately the culture as I understand. I don't like that part of it. That's one thing I could not get used to--always getting treated special while others--my friends who are with me at the time nonetheless--are treated horribly. I don't want to be waited on hand and food. That's not why I came here, but that's what happens unfortunately. I guess I will have to make an effort to pull myself down a little and others up as well. I just can't be rude and refuse their hospitality either...that would not be a good thing to do. So what to do...it's one of the struggles I've found here.

But enough of the negative: the positive!!!

Thursday was New Years Eve! After my classes, I went to the office, made sure some of my friends were coming to the party we were having, and hurried home. I had cooked that morning before classes---I spent about 3 or 4 hours making tortillas from scratch, then making enchilladas out of them! About a week ago i made enchillada sauce from scratch, and I put it all together. So I was able to run down to my friend's apartment, put them in the oven, and wait for everyone to arrive. We made fun posters welcoming the new year, and ate a whole bunch of Mexican food (not the intention, but it just happened that way. She had prepared nachos, and I had prepared the enchilladas haha). Then, we played catch phrase and taboo. We had 6 foreigners and 5 Chinese people there, and so it was a nice mix. We turned on the TV with about 2 minutes to go to midnight and watched the celebration that they had in China. We could have actually gone to the park to watch them live, but decided to stay inside and eat food and stay warm instead. At the new year we all said happy new year...in 3 or 4 languages (not sure if both Chinese languages made it into the mix...and Spanish and English were the other 2) and then we talked for a little bit before all heading back to our own places.

New Years Day was crazy. I got up early and went to the fresh market (an outside market selling fresh meat, veggies, fruits, and other stuff). I saw some things that...well...you'll never see in America. We'll leave it at that. But we bought some chicken, veggies, meat, chopsticks, plates, and barbeque sauce. We went to the supermarket and bought some other things that we were unable to buy in the fresh market, ate lunch, and then went back to the apartment. We prepared the food (washed everything and put it in bags) and at 3 we left the apartment...we took the bus (carrying all the food...) and went to the park. It was crazy, because it took us at least twice as long as normal to get to the bus stop because of ALL THE PEOPLE!!! Everyone had a holiday on the 1st, so everyone was out shopping and doing stuff. The bus was crowded as well, but I've actually been on worse. Anyway, there was a barbeque park and so we rented a firepit. We got there early, so before we cooked the food we walked around the park. It was kind of like a mix between an amusement park and other stuff. Some of the activities included were: grass skiing, zip-lining, ferris wheel, karaoke, roller coasters, go karts, bumper cars, paddle boating, mahjong and some other things. We definately did the zip line. It was so much fun! We also flew kites. Then we went to the barbeque pit and cooked all the food and ate it. It was a great time! We then went back to the apartments and watched a movie and eventually we all left. It was such a long day and we were all worn out! But is was so much fun.

Well, today at 2:30 I have classes. At 3 the first team comes, so I will meet them. But I should go, because I'm not actually sure what I'm doing for my first and second classes. I have to talk to the other teachers and ask them what we're going do.

I will send more emails as new and exciting things happen.

Happy New Year!!!!
-Alissa

No comments:

Post a Comment